this is me now

5.06.2009

the end of a generation......

1. i dont like instrumental music. with a very few exceptions, i find non-vocal music to be indulgent and, yes, boring. i need a hummable melody....call me a vocalist....hmmmm...that was supposed to sound more like a play on the word racist....but vocalist is really a word....oh well.

2. i have been going to junior high band concerts for 13 years....yes...13 years. 5 of my 6 beloveds have played in the Hurst Junior High band....a necessary step towards L.D.BELL MARCHING BAND.

last night was Ace's Hurst Junior High Band Concert....since he is in 9th grade...this is his last....and consequently, my last. I sat towards the back....watching my cell phone for texts from my american idol buddy, niece Jackie....she was keeping me aware of how adam lambert was doing in Rock week (priorities, folks) (and yes.....i understand that is bad concert etiquette)....


















this is my view during a break in the concert...i figure i have been to nearly 70 concerts in the last 13 years....not counting marching band....that is not a concert...it is an event. I love seeing my kids perform....hard work showing and all that....and i understand there are people that actually enjoy concert season! I buy the cd's that rarely get listened to, we go out for ice cream after the show....i get it.....but, to me...its a good reason to be out of the heat, I guess.
anyway, back to the concert..................
7th grade band plays....good...fun....always funny to watch the new parents be so thrilled (think the last scene in "Music Man")....then the concert band....they do a good job and I know a lot of those kids....wait....theres a text from Jackie.....whew...adam did well...thats a relief....anyway...back to the concert....hmmmm...where did i put my new Ipod Touch?.....whoa...too bright for this dark room.....back to the concert....nicely done. then its time for the symphonic band....see Ace take his place amidst the french horns....notice he is taller than a lot of the boys....always surprises me....i still picture him as if he were 7....music starts....they have some rockin' trumpet players....text from jackie....what!? duets!? great!.....back to the concert....Monica Dominguez, the band director, is talking about the band....great kids, great parents, great year....heard it for 13 years.....some years i believed....some years.....they play another song from their UIL sweepstakes-performance.....then a fun saxophone ensemble plays....then music from video games.....if its not tetris or mario brothers it doesnt hit me...cant hum it....but i'm sure they enjoyed it......then they have all the 9th graders come up to get a medal (cool....has a spinner in the middle).....they call out each name....Ace Jeppson.....I START WEEPING! they end playing music from GREASE.....totally hummable.....totally singable....this is the last time! I'M STINKING CRYING!
OH MY GOSH! what the heck am i feeling?

I dont miss elementary school

I dont miss elementary school programs

I will not miss junior high

I will not miss junior high concerts

but i will miss my little boy
these are the directors...Monica Dominguez and Justin Thomas. Mr Thomas has been thru all 5 of our junior-high band kids...the horns, the trombone, the trumpet and the clarinet.....
thank heavens for people who like instrumental music.....and junior high kids.

1 comment:

Princess Mommy said...

ahh...how i miss band...