1. i have the right to not vote if i'm not thrilled with either candidate....i have that right.
2. i voted against something---not for anything...that is a frustrating circumstance.
3. i had to wait in line for 30 minutes to vote----that is a sign from above that i shouldnt have bothered (see previous post about my agreement with God re:voting)
4. i voted because i understand that i should.
5. i voted because i'm tired of being told i am naive or blind or ignorant because socially, i am part of the conservative religious right.
6. i voted even though i'm disenfranchised----Obama is very charismatic, but i have no hope that he will be able to back it up with a spine---and i feel sorry for him, because in 2 years he will be blamed for all our problems---most of which are the fault of the previous congri (my word for plural congress) and administrations (yes---not just bush, but clinton, george h.w., reagan, carter----our lifestyle choices go way back folks) and we as a society and our desire for the easy road and mortgaging our future for something today. McCain isnt charismatic enough---and Palin hasnt given me much to build on since she stepped into the limelight---i still like her---but i needed more.
7. i voted against hollywood and social liberals telling me that i'm not cool or compassionate or smart if i dont support their candidate.
8. i voted so i CAN complain for the next 4 years...and i will.
...arrived about 9 at Jas & David's---Lyric was there to greet us too--bonus! we chatted and plotted out our weekend...Jas got me Dibs (in new packaging---my favorite!) for the weekend.
...early Saturday morning---yes---early---picked up Lyric at 6:15 a.m.---we four headed to Pearland to watch Bands Of America Houston Regional Marching Band competition....L. D. Bell was marching. We arrived at 815----a couple of bands had dropped out (so many of the bands were messed up because of Hurricane Ike---missing so much school---) so the competition didnt start til 930---but then we planted it and ran the board---50 yard line, about 30 rows up---25-ish bands---then 12 shows in finals----Bell swept the competition---got to see some really entertaining shows and hear some wonderful music---mostly it was great sitting with my kids enjoying them and bands----and burning up! got a most horrific sunburn on my left leg...
...David Hall joined us for finals----he'd been on a youth temple trip in the morning and then conducted a baptism of a family that afternoon---he had a very long day. We got back to Beaumont about 130 a.m....yawn.....up for church at 9 a.m.---I used to live in Jasmine's ward (20 years ago)--still get to see people I knew back then---then David took us on a tour of his refinery and down to see Hurricane Ike damage...the yacht club in Port Arthur---boats piled up on top of boats---aluminum overhangs and fences down everywhere---blue tarps everywhere (waiting for roofs to be replaced)---trees twisted out of the ground---and these werent even the places hit the worst
...we then went to the Halls house for a pasta bar dinner ---that was fun---played Apples to Apples and scum---the next morning Ace & I took jasmine to her elementary school where she is doing some shadowing---then we headed home to Fort Worth....family & marching band---great combination.
In Utah (I looked at Albertson's here, didnt see them) they have restaurant Craver Pringles---so we bought one of each can and served them as hors d'ouevres to Spencer & Corinne Speirs---made them guess the flavors---most were really good---here's the rundown-
I went up to Utah to see Leah & Joe---spent 6 days---Leah & I did a lot of baby shopping and chatting---IKEA, Babys R Us, Walmart, Burlington Coat Factory...like a moth to the flame...every store....found this terrific Teddy Bear rug (the nursery is animal theme) at Costco! could not resist! It matches her curtains for the baby's room! They found this dresser ready for trash---Joe fixed the broken drawer and painted it---he painted this tree for Raider's room! I am very impressed
Monday night in Utah we went over to some friends in Joe & Leah's ward and Joe made sumtam (spelling?)---Thai food. It was delicious----this coming from someone who likes bland as all get out bland food....Leah & I had gone to a Thai grocery store to get the ingredients...Joe did all the cooking. It was lovely to see Joe & Leah as a couple anticipating being a group so soon. I will go back up when Raider arrives....with a new name probably!
Be careful what you pray for....I wanted to celebrate David's 25th birthday. David's birthday was August 30...Jasmine had plans for the whole weekend to celebrate his special day---then Gustav announced he was on the way...Gustav is not a baby---he's a hurricane... So David, Jasmine and Lyric came up and we celebrated David's birthday with a trip to Joe's Crab Shack and an Italian Creme cake (his favorite), James & Iva Hall (David's parents), Deanna & Kelli (his two sisters), Richard (Deanna's beau) and Lionel, a family frien, all came up a day later...ARENT WE GLAD WE HAD GUEST ROOMS! :) (See previous post about my LD Bell Room)...Gustav ended up not really doing anything around Beaumont---so they all headed back down to Beaumont.
This is Jasmine & David doing what evacuees do----watch and wait! (notice my lovely floor!)David went back to Beaumont to see how Valero (his job) gets a refinery back online--Jasmine slept---lots-Jasmine & Lyric got to stay nearly another week---plenty of time to make cake balls for my Gospel Doctrine Sunday School class---Lyric was able to work at the hospital for a few days (yay for good relationships with old bosses)...then they too headed back down---their homes were safe---Coach & Iva lost a fence to a tree---but they all fared better than so many. We dont like Ike. So now, be careful what you pray for---cause you might get two hurricanes!